🧡 Join the Rally around Reconciliation on September 30th 🧡
The Rally around Reconciliation is your opportunity to stand shoulder to shoulder with people of diverse backgrounds, united in support for the Indigenous community and Calls for Change. It’s a resounding message to decision makers that action speaks louder than words, and demonstrates our collective power to drive meaningful change.
This event is open to everyone, and if you’re looking for guidance on how you can and should contribute to reconciliation efforts, the Rally around Reconciliation is the event for you. No matter where you are on the journey towards reconciliation, it will be a welcoming space to learn, remember the past, honour survivors, and take meaningful steps toward reconciliation.
📅 Date: September 30th
⏰ Time: 2:45 pm – 3:45 pm
📍 Location: Colonial Building & Bannerman Park
What to Expect:
🎤 Powerful Speakers & Performers: Expect thought-provoking insights from our speakers and touching performances from our artists throughout the event.
📖 Educational Insights: Dive deep into the significance of National Day for Truth & Reconciliation (Orange Shirt Day) and the broader context of reconciliation.
🌱 Actionable Steps: Discover practical ways to contribute to reconciliation efforts through the First Voice 42 Calls for Change.
📜 Reflections on Reconciliation Wall: Take a moment to think about your own journey toward reconciliation. Write your personal commitment & why you wear orange on our Reflections on Reconciliation wall, then share using #whyiwearorange.
🔥 Healing Fire: Join us at a healing fire to offer your prayers, intentions, and tobacco as a sign of respect for those affected by the residential school system.
Why it Matters:
- Raising Awareness: Our goal is to raise awareness about reconciliation and Indigenous issues among non-Indigenous individuals and allies. By participating, you become part of a movement that seeks to promote understanding and expose systemic issues.
- Amplify Voices: We’re amplifying the voices of the urban Indigenous population, ensuring that their concerns are heard and understood by a broader audience.
- Support & Action: It provides a platform for non-Indigenous individuals and allies to actively demonstrate their support for the Indigenous community. Here, you don’t just wear an orange shirt; you’re encouraged and welcomed to take tangible actions that can make a difference.
- Unity, Solidarity & Collective Power: The Rally around Reconciliation fosters a profound sense of unity and solidarity among attendees, sending a powerful message that people from diverse backgrounds are standing together to support the Indigenous community and Calls for Change. Together, we leverage our collective power and voices to effect meaningful change, address systemic issues, and advocate for reform.
- Shared Responsibility: The responsibility of reconciliation does not solely rest on the Indigenous community. This event encourages all attendees, especially non-Indigenous individuals and allies, to proactively educate themselves and take action. Recognize, activate, and educate those who stand in solidarity, and call out those who aren’t.
- Message to Decision Makers: We are sending a message to leaders and decision makers, both present and absent, that concrete actions are required, not empty words.
Join us on September 30th for an inspiring event that blends action and education. As we gather on this significant day, let’s remember that our work doesn’t culminate here. Instead, it serves as the initial step in our continuous mission to drive change and uphold reconciliation as a shared responsibility.
We look forward to seeing you in orange on September 30th! 🧡
Looking for more information?