Position: Program Coordinator
Reporting to: Director of Programs
Location: 40 Quidi Vidi Road
The primary duty of the Program Coordinator is to coordinate and support all aspects of multiple programs within the organization, ensuring everything runs smoothly and efficiently. This role primarily focuses on coordinating and supporting the youth programming at First Light, including afterschool programs, summer camps, and programming for teens and young adults. However, this role may also involve contributing to other program areas, including seniors, recreation, special events, festivals, and projects.
The successful candidate will work closely with another Program Coordinator and the Festival & Events Specialist to ensure effective communication and collaboration between all teams. Indigenous culture is woven through all programming at First Light, and the Program Coordinator will be expected to incorporate these elements into all programs.
First Light is a registered non-profit organization that serves the urban Indigenous and non-Indigenous community alike by providing programs and services rooted in the revitalization, strengthening and celebration of Indigenous cultures and languages in the spirit of trust, respect, and friendship.
- Contribute to the planning and coordination of events and projects, taking into account budget, facilities, personnel, purpose, appropriate promotion, and communications around programs.
- Serve as a liaison on behalf of First Light and maintain consistent communication with partners about the program.
- Develop and maintain partnerships that are mutually beneficial both socially and financially.
- Collaborate with various internal departments to ensure effective implementation of program activities.
- Report regularly on program activity and community events, evaluating outcomes and providing recommendations on improvements.
- Participate in research projects on issues related to the program’s mission and goals.
- Seek out new opportunities to grow and advance the program’s profile within the community.
- Supervise and support all members of the team, including evaluating performance on an annual basis.
- Collaborate with different teams or departments to ensure effective communication and collaboration.
- Work closely with other Coordinators, ensuring all facilitators and coordinators work collaboratively as one team.
- Work with the Festival & Events Specialist to support events and festivals, including assigning facilitators as required.
- Work to promote the organization by collaborating with individuals and groups that share the mission and objectives of the program.
The Program Coordinator will play an important role in supervising and guiding the team to deliver effective and engaging programs for the urban Indigenous community. Overall, the role will be to ensure the delivery of high-quality programs that meet community needs, while fostering a positive & supportive work environment for facilitators. Providing guidance, training, and support to team members, will help facilitators grow and develop, ultimately contributing to the success of First Light. To ensure the success of your team, you will need to:
- Provide clear expectations and guidelines, including setting program goals, establishing protocols for participant interactions, and outlining the overall program structure.
- Monitor program performance regularly, evaluating the effectiveness of the programs and providing feedback and recommendations for improvement. This will help ensure that the programs remain relevant and engaging for participants.
- Offer ongoing training and support to help facilitators improve their skills and knowledge. This includes providing regular feedback, offering coaching and mentoring, and identifying professional development opportunities.
- Foster a collaborative team environment that encourages open communication and sharing of ideas to help your team work together effectively and create a positive and supportive work culture.
- Ensure compliance with policies and procedures, as well as any relevant legislation or regulations. This includes ensuring the safety of participants and staff, maintaining program records and documentation, and following financial and administrative protocols.
Core Skill Set
- Teamwork & relationship building
- Planning & Logistics
- Leadership and coaching
- Grant and report writing experience an asset
- Proficiency in event planning software, messaging software, and Google Sheets & Docs
- Minimum 3-5 years’ experience in a similar role
- Familiarity with the program’s subject matter is essential
- Proven experience as a Program Coordinator or similar role.
- Strong organizational and project management skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal abilities.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse group of people and programs.
- Passionate about promoting the organization’s mission and goals.
- Diploma and/or degree preferred
At First Light, we value diversity, equity, and inclusion and are committed to creating a safe and welcoming environment for all members of our community. If you share our values and have the qualifications and experience for this role, we encourage you to apply.
How to Apply
To apply, please send your resume and cover letter to [email protected].